Sunday, September 23, 2007

Waiting Hopefully

“Those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.” (Isaiah 40:31)

The word translated “wait” here in the NASB is translated “hope” in the NIV. It is the Hebrew word qavah which means:

To wait for, look for, expect, hope … Qavah is the root of the noun tiqvah, “hope” or “expectancy.” Qavah expresses the idea of “waiting hopefully.”
(Reference: “The New Spirit Filled Bible”)

Waiting, like submission (the subject of my last few posts) seems to be a neglected concept in our society. As I look around, so much change is needed -- in the world, in my life, in the lives of others, and in ministries that I am involved in. I see the need for injustices to be addressed, character to be developed, healings, breakthroughs in difficult circumstances … the list is endless. It’s easy for me to get discouraged about these things. I try to do what I feel called to do, use wisdom, and then wait on the Lord, but it’s hard to wait when necessary change doesn’t seem to be happening, or happening fast enough. I think the key to waiting without falling into discouragement and dissatisfaction is the attitude with which I wait: waiting hopefully.

“Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.” (Psalm 27:14)

No comments: