Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reflections on co-dependency

Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ … for each one should carry his own load. (Galatians 6:2a, 5)

Co-dependency involves doing too much for a person, because “each one should carry his own load”. A friend in a 12 step group gave me this definition of enabling: “Doing something for someone that the person needs to do for him or herself”. I do not believe that people are free from co-dependency when they let other people take care of their responsibilities without their help while they concentrate on taking care of their own responsibilities. I do not think that that approach is caring, I think it is selfish. It also does not demonstrate interdependence, which should define healthy relationships.

One of the keys is WHY you are helping the other person. If you are doing it to enhance your self esteem, then you may have good intentions, but you are not truly loving, because you are doing it for yourself and often out of compulsion. The main way that I can tell that I am enabling someone is when I start to resent them. Then I realize that I am helping them because I think I have to rather than because I really want to. Caring done out of compulsion is not true caring. True caring is done because you want to, and you don't care what the person's response is. It is giving an unconditional gift. God’s love is like that.

In addition to WHY you are helping the person, the other key is WHAT IS THE BEST WAY to help them. Usually the best way to help people is to empower them (unless they are truly not capable). The reason that this is better than doing it for them is because it helps them learn and grow as people, whereas doing something for them often results in them doing and learning very little. That is why I like my friend's question: "Am I doing something for this person that he/she needs to be doing for him or herself?" to determine if I am helping too much (i.e. enabling). Helping people with their ordinary day-to-day responsibilities is done when you WANT TO. I find that not only do I feel resentful towards people when I enable them, but they resent me also because I am not treating them like responsible, capable adults. Enabling is very destructive to relationships.

When people are going through difficult experiences (loss, illness, etc.) that is the time to help them even if you don’t want to (“carry each other’s burdens”) – that is sacrificial love. The amazing thing is that as we are conformed to the image of Christ, we WANT TO help people more and more, so it becomes a joy rather than a sacrifice.

4 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Wow Beth,
You hardly ever post but when you do it is very deep. I have to read and re-read and mull it over before responding! I think most people are co-dependent to a certain degree. Its when it overtakes their lives it definatly becomes a problem. However, I think some of these traits are good. I think it all depends on your motivations and/or giftings.

Beth said...

Mary Lee, thanks for your comment! ITA that most people are co-dependent to a certain degree and that it is when it negatively affects their lives and relationships that it becomes a problem. During my 12 step experience I observed and heard about much destruction and heartache that came about due to enabling, which is why I am passionate about the subject. Regarding motivation and giftings, I used to think that I had a mercy gift, but now I doubt it, since I find myself becoming much more annoyed with people. I think that I had deceived myself that I was caring when I was really helping them because I thought I “should” (a form of compulsion), or to get them to like me. “God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Cor 9:7). I am now seeking to be more authentic in my caring. Also, a therapist once said to me “You have no grace for others because you have no grace for yourself.” I am seeking to become much more accepting of both others and myself rather than getting annoyed by our imperfections. Jesus loves us exactly the way we are! I want to be like that.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Beth,

Amen... I attended many years ago a workshop for the area of "our ministry" and the counselor asked me get up and stain on a chair and scream "NO". Not sure what he was getting at but of course he informed me that I was co-dependent..and that I had trouble saying NO.. that was the beginning of enlightenment and of course my journey of saying "NO" back to healthy relating. ;-