Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Sobering Thought

The first angel went and poured out his bowl on the land, and ugly and painful sores broke out on the people who had the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. (Revelation 16:2)

I’ve never been very interested in studying the end times, since even the 1st century Christians thought that Jesus was coming back in their lifetime. Every generation seems to hope that they will be the ones (at least, the ones who believe in a pre-tribulation rapture). However, I went out with a hospice nurse the other day, and we visited a client who has MRSA (an antibiotic-resistant infection that has become increasingly common). I asked how this woman could have contracted it, and she said that as health care workers, both she and I would probably test positive for MRSA … it’s around, sometimes having become part of the body’s normal bacterial flora, and people are not aware that they have it. She said that it can manifest as painful boils … and I immediately thought of the above passage.

4 comments:

Mary Lee said...

I have heard that MRSA is horrible!! I can certainly understand how you thought about the scripture passage.

Kathy said...

Interesting, Beth. You're right, every generation has hoped haven't they. I hope your studies are going well. We're proud of you in the right way, and praying for you. Hugs.

Danny Wright said...

So does this mean you will get it?

Beth said...

Not necessarily, but I am at greater risk if my immune system beomes compromised.