Friday, August 14, 2009

Another Revelation about Revelation

“Then there came flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder and a severe earthquake. No earthquake like it has ever occurred since man has been on earth, so tremendous was the quake.” (Revelation 16:18)

Seven years ago I spent a day exploring Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument. Although it had been 22 years since the mountain exploded, evidence of destruction was as conspicuous as that of regrowth. When the narrator of one of the videos at the visitors’ center cheerfully announced, “The mountains in this range are still active, and will erupt again one day”, I looked around at Mt. St. Helens, Mt Rainier, Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood, and a chill came over me as I thought of the above verse.

1 comment:

Mary Lee said...

I remember when Mt. St. Helens erupted. I was living in Eugene, Oregon at the time. There was ash all over everything for days. I actually saw the destruction about a year later on a trip up that way. Pretty scary, but awesome too.