Sunday, August 12, 2007

Eliminating corrosion

“Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil.” (Psalm 37:8)
I looked up the word “fret” at www.dictionary.com and found the following:

fret
–verb (used without object)
1. to feel or express worry, annoyance, discontent, or the like: Fretting about the lost ring isn't going to help.
2. to cause corrosion; gnaw into something: acids that fret at the strongest metals.
3. to make a way by gnawing, corrosion, wearing away, etc.: The river frets at its banks until a new channel is formed.
4. to become eaten, worn, or corroded (often fol. by away): Limestone slowly frets away under pounding by the wind and rain.
5. to move in agitation or commotion, as water: water fretting over the stones of a brook.
–verb (used with object)
6. to torment; irritate, annoy, or vex: You mustn't fret yourself about that.
7. to wear away or consume by gnawing, friction, rust, corrosives, etc.: the ocean fretting its shores.
8. to form or make by wearing away a substance: The river had fretted an underground passage.
9. to agitate (water): Strong winds were fretting the channel.

I thought it was quite interesting how worry, irritation, anxiety, discontent, etc. have a corrosive effect. They are unproductive, waste energy, and yes, are a kind of torment. Therefore I’m trying to get rid of them and apply this verse:

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” (I Peter 5:7)

4 comments:

Ron Friesen said...

great research and thought

Beth, I had not given much thought to the corrisive power of worry.

Thank you for pointing this out.

ron

Beth said...

Ron, thanks for the affirmation. I didn't realize it either until I did the word study when I realized that I didn't really know what "fret" meant. Here's to non-corrosive living.

Danny Wright said...

The reminds me of Psalm 37 and its still waters. Pray for me Beth that I would become less self corrosive. Thanks

Beth said...

Danny, You're a blessing to me. Let's pray for each other in this area.