Thursday, August 2, 2007

24/7 Worship

Since I discovered it last night, I have been watching video off and on of "Harp and Bowl" style worship and intercession (Rev. 5:8) in the Prayer Room at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. It is amazing. I did not know that this existed. The huge majority of those worshipping and praying are young people late 20's to younger. There are several choices available, including audio only, but I'm glad I went for the video as it is extremely moving to see young people pouring out their hearts to God. According to the web site, you can try the service out free for seven days (I subscribed for a month of video for $10). The web site is www.ihop.org.

An addendum to my original post:

As I continue to watch this, I realize that some people are not going to like it at all, and that's OK. I have been sampling it for less than 24 hours so I don't know all of the content but from what I have seen so far there are a lot of repetitive praise choruses, so be forewarned. In fact, what I have seen is almost purely emotive expression (except for a part where young people lined up and prayed short prayers into the microphone, but those were fervent as well). I think that there's a place for emotive expression to God just like there's a place for apologetics presentations. I have a mind and I have emotions and I'm trying to figure out how to live in an appropriate balance. I wouldn't want to live in "The Prayer Room" at IHOP 100% of the time, but it's a place that I enjoy visiting.

5 comments:

Danny Wright said...

Can you go there and watch it live or are you talking about videos you purchase?

Danny Wright said...

When I said can you "go there" I meant on line

Beth said...

Yes, you can watch the worship and prayer live online.

Ron Friesen said...

interesting blog, Beth, I have not yet gone to it - I think there is a time for emotive worship and time for more thoughtful worship - I don't think we have to it one way or the other.

those are my thoughts.

ron

Beth said...

Ron, I agree with you. I was anticipating an objection that repetitive praise choruses don’t honor God and shouldn’t be sung (which I have heard before). My point is, if that type of worship is unappealing and unedifying to some people, that’s fine and they are free to worship in a way that is more meaningful to them, but I think it is an appropriate form of worship. Rev. 4:8 says of the four living creatures: Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." Also, the Prayer Room is only one aspect of the International House of Prayer in Kansas City and downloads of sermons are also available from the web site.